One of our most highly commended lawyers, Maureen brings her clients extensive experience in environmental law covering development, planning appeals, compulsory acquisitions, compliance and contamination.
Maureen is the national leader
of our Environment and Planning law practice. Maureen advises and represents government, corporate
and community organisations in relation to development projects, planning appeals, compulsory acquisitions, compliance
and contamination matters.
Maureen has been a partner at Hunt & Hunt since
January 2003 and was Chairman of the Board for five years until 2012.
- Acting for NSW Government Departments and Agencies on compulsory acquisitions for infrastructure projects including South West Rail Link and North West Rail Link, Sydney Parklands and Open Space.
- Acting for developers in an advisory capacity and in planning appeals before the court.
- Acting for operators in the waste industry on compliance issues relating to the law and contamination.
- Various court proceedings relating to all the above.
- In January 2013 Maureen addressed the Federal Government's Joint Selection Committee on Constitutional Recognition of Local Government of behalf of the Law Council of Australia.
- In October 2011, "Climate Change, the Australian Experience" a paper given to the Interlaw Conference in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- In June 2011, Maureen chaired a planning law seminar in relation to 'Planning Appeal Updates' arranged by Legalwise Seminars. Topics included: Review of Costs in Environment Litigation; Judicial Review of Decisions at Local and State Levels; and Trends in Public Interest Litigation: Examining the Nature, Limitations and Appropriate Way Forward: Part 3A Decisions.
- In June 2010 Maureen gave a presentation to the Waste Contractors and Recyclers Association of NSW on The Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme (CPRS) and the Implications for the Waste Industry.
- In June 2010 Maureen gave a presentation to the Australia China Business Council on Green Cities.
- In October 2011, the Australian Property Institute
made Maureen a Fellow of API by invitation under the organisation's Eminent Property Professionals
in Australia Program.
- In September 2009 Maureen was awarded the Highly Commended Award, in recognition of her contribution to the profession over 25 years. This was an inaugural award by the Women Lawyers Association of NSW.
- In 2005, the Australian Property Institute presented Maureen with an Award for outstanding voluntary service to that Association. Maureen’s contribution included lecturing in Expert Witness Practice Directions for the Associate Professional Certificate, API, and University of Sydney. This course was set up at the request of the former Chief Judge of the Land and Environment Court of NSW.
- In 2004 Maureen re-established the Australian Environment & Planning Committee of the Legal Practice Section, Law Council of Australia. In 2005 she established the Australian Young Environmental Lawyer of the year award. This is now an established annual award, and the name has changed to the "Mahla Pearlman Young Environmental Lawyer of the Year" award in honour of Mahla Pearlman (deceased) who was the first female to be President, Law Society of NSW, subsequently Law Council of Australia and a former Chief Judge of the Land & Environment Court of NSW.