Shona is a highly experienced defendant insurance litigation specialist with professional admission in Australia and in the United Kingdom. Shona is also a Notary Public. She responds to the needs of national and multi-national insurers to achieve timely cost-effective outcomes.
Shona has significant experience in advising national insurers in the defence of a variety of personal injury, property damage, product liability and professional indemnity claims. She is experienced in defending claims to success, including on appeal. One of Shona's strengths is early and accurate appraisal of indemnity, liability and quantum to allow good strategic claims management. The depth of Shona's expertise ensures allows accuracy of reserve, timely turn-around and early appreciation of all issues arising, including recovery opportunities. Shona has particular experience in defending s.151Z recoveries. She provides her clients with proficient, practical advice with good judgment, responding concisely to their needs to achieve commercially sound outcomes.
Shona’s experience includes:
- Verdict for the appellant in NSW Court of Appeal (appeal on liability, resultant saving to her client insurer in excess of $4M)
Defending property liability claims arising from fire damage, applying skill and familiarity with technical issues and dispute resolution techniques to contain claims on a commercially acceptable basis.
- Early settlement, by way of verdict for the insured local authority council, in a multiple party property damage/professional indemnity claim.
- Advising specialised, major and niche insurers in relation to professional indemnity claims. Shona is adept at providing advice in relation to all aspects, in particular policy coverage and indemnity.
- Advising a national insurer for a major labour-hire employer in a claim litigated to appeal, resulting in a landmark decision in relation to the exposure of host and labour hire employers. TNT v Christie & Ors  NSWCA 47.
- Extraction of a substantial contribution to judgment and costs from a cross defendant in a multiple defendant major claim involving significant injury at a major underground construction site.
- Advising the national insurer of a professional surveyor in the defence of claims of professional negligence resulting in alleged financial loss on the part of the plaintiff trust fund.