Martin develops innovative solutions to the often complex problems facing employers and scheme agents.
For employers, Martin drafts, reviews and advises on issues such as employment agreements, non-compete, intellectual property and confidential information clauses, internal policies, recruitment and pre-employment processes, and restructuring strategies.
Martin’s advice ranges from compliance with the Fair Work Act, counselling and performance management, to unfair and unlawful termination of employment, and engaging contractors and casual employees.
Clients across many industries and businesses enjoy his pragmatic, solution focused advice including employer associations, domestic and international companies in road transport, healthcare, scientific research, tertiary education, manufacturing, waste, recycling, motor trade, banking, construction, retail and labour hire industries.
Given Martin’s depth of his experience, he is regularly asked to speak on legislative, policy and case law impacts for employer associations and industry groups, either in-house, onsite or on behalf of training organisations.
With exemplary communication and negotiation skills, Martin often represents clients in the Australian Human Rights Commission, Federal Court, Federal Magistrates Court, Fair Work Australia, Local, District and Supreme Courts, and the NSW Industrial Relations Commission. His expertise has been instrumental in achieving client satisfaction and favourable outcomes including:
- Drafting and negotiating enterprise agreements for employers in the waste management and civil construction industries
- Successfully defending unfair dismissal and adverse action claims brought before Fair Work Australia, the Federal Magistrates Court and the Federal Court
- Avoiding orders regarding redundancy and owner-driver contractor entitlements
- Resolving health and aged care providers issues in relation to dismissal, discipline, restructuring, redundancy and employment contracts and conditions
- Overturning a decision by a judge to reinstate a police officer dismissed for misconduct before the Full Bench of the NSW Industrial Relations Commission
- Assisting employers’ associations in negotiations following submissions relating to award modernisation and obtaining federal registration
- Obtaining the return of confidential information and intellectual property retained by employees following termination, and restraining its use
- Successfully defending prosecutions for breaches of Occupational Health and Safety legislation Martin also has extensive experience advising and representing employers and scheme agents in litigation arising from workplace injuries. He has been engaged by the WorkCover Authority as an in house consultant and has worked in the appeals management section of the Workers Compensation Commission.