Russell is a customs and global trade specialist with a strong focus on helping clients proactively manage the risks and opportunities associated with international trade. Russell works closely with customs brokers, freight forwarders and importers and exporters of goods on issues such as use of free trade agreements, customs compliance, dumping duties and disputes between different parties in the supply chain.
Russell regularly works with customs brokers and freight forwards to complement the services those professionals provide to their importing or exporting clients. Trade professionals often engage Russell to resolve dispute with government authorities, assist with tribunal or court review of government decisions or to draft commercial agreements that take into account the specific issued faced by customs broker and freight forwarders.
More broadly, Russell assists those involved in global trade with related commercial issues such as drafting agreements, parallel imports, product labelling, disputes between different parties in the international supply chain and regulatory compliance.
Russell’s experience includes:
- customs duty issues including classification and use of customs concessions such as free trade agreements and tariff concession orders.
- Customs valuation from both a compliance and duty management perspective. Russell regularly advises on the customs implications of transfer pricing adjustments and duty management strategies.
- Representing foreign exporters and importers involved in dumping and countervailing investigations conducted by the Anti-Dumping Commission. Russell assists both with the initial investigation, review of decisions and ongoing compliance issues.
- Assisting importers and exporters with customs compliance issues including customs audits (both by the Australian Border Force and internal audits), the import and export of controlled goods, drafting customs import and export procedures, voluntary disclosure and management of identified compliance issues.
- Drafting commercial agreements related to international trade. Russell regularly drafts terms and conditions of trade, supply agreements, license agreements, distribution agreements and non-disclosure agreements.
- Providing trade related training to associations, businesses and industry groups. Russell has provided training on topics such as free trade agreements, customs compliance and tariff classification across Australia.
Russell has provided advice to organisations involved in a variety of industries including logistics and transport, automotive, consumer goods, heavy industry and mining, life sciences and telecommunications. Russell’s clients range from multinationals to small businesses.