Anton has many years of experience assisting clients with the compulsory acquisition of land in Victoria, from small easement acquisitions to large-scale property acquisitions, in relation to owners, landlords, tenants and businesses. He has handled hundreds of matters (from individuals to large corporate clients such as Boral and Westfield).
He skilfully assesses the likely impacts of the compulsory acquisition. He undertakes a balanced and thorough analysis of the claim. Through his experience as detailed below, he can identify less obvious issues relating to a claim, to ensure Victorian claimants maximise their compensation claims. He is an experienced negotiator, attending mediations (including valuers’ conferences) and running complex trials.
While his focus is primarily in the area of Victorian compulsory acquisition matters, Anton has acted in a range of complex property and commercial disputes (including complex planning matters) as well as estate disputes, guardianship and administration, including matters of competency and unconscionable dealings.
As a recognised leader in his field, Anton is frequently quoted in the media and devotes time to educate lawyers and people affected by Victorian compulsory acquisitions. He has been invited to give seminars by the Law Institute of Victoria;for clients; and to large groups at various town hall meetings.
Compulsory acquisition experience
Anton advises on and acts on a broad range of compulsory acquisition matters, including infrastructure and other projects which may be in early planning stages. Anton has been, or is still involved in projects overseen by the:
- Melbourne Metro Rail Authority
- Linking Melbourne Authority
- Local councils
- Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources
- Level Crossing Removal Authority
- Regional Rail Link Authority
- Gas authorities
- Water authorities
- Electrical transmission authorities
- Places Victoria
- Melbourne Airport Authority.
These projects have included the following detailed list:
- VicRoads including the Craigieburn By-Pass, Dingley By-Pass, Geelong By-Pass, Hallam Road By-Pass, Horsham By-Pass, Koo Wee Rup Bypass, Outer Metropolitan Ring Road, Princes Highway Project, Western Highway Project, Westgate Freeway up-grade, Yan Yean Road duplication and numerous other road widening projects
- Linking Melbourne Authority including Eastlink and East-West Link
- Local councils such as Banyule, Bass Coast, Brimbank, Casey, Frankston, Geelong, Glen Eira Greater Dandenong, Greater Shepparton, Melton, Stonnington, Surf Coast, Wellington, Yarriambiack Water corporations including Barwon Region, Coliban Region, Gippsland, Goulburn Valley Region, Grampians Wimmera, Mallee, Lower Murray Urban and Rural, South East, Western Region, Yarra Valley
- Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources (previously Department of Transport Planning and Local Infrastructure ), the Department of Sustainability and Environment, and others) including the Desalination Plant at Wonthaggi, the Desalination pipeline, a bus depot at a Westfield Shopping centre, Regional Rail Link Stage 1, Regional Rail Link Stage 2, and negotiated acquisitions including a number of specialised businesses such as chicken farms
- Various Regional Rail Link Alliance projects concerned with Regional Rail Link, underpasses and overpasses, and the further development of infrastructure
- Gas pipeline upgrade for Esso Australia Resources Pty Ltd
- Electrical Transmission Lines created for SP AusNet and United Energy Distribution
- Grasslands Overlays including the Werribee Districts
- Places Victoria (previously the Urban Renewal Authority) including the Dandenong Revitalisation Department of Infrastructure, Energy & Resources (Tasmania)
- Public acquisition overlays for council open spaces
- Melbourne Airport land acquisitions
- A large number of public acquisition overlay claims including loss on sale claims and planning permit application refusals
- Advising in relation to wind farm agreements and related acquisitions
- Advising Boral in relation to complex landfill and environmental disputes and a number of compulsory acquisition matters
- Advising a large waste management company in a dispute with multiple councils and the Environment Protection Authority concerning the construction, management and general operation of waste management facilities
- Advising a member of the State Parliament of Victoria in relation to a Freedom of Information Claim seeking files from government departments
- Representing Melbourne City Council in defence of a proceeding commenced by Dustday Investments Pty Ltd (a Solomon Lew company) regarding administrative law/judicial review in relation to a heritage overlay
- Representing unChain St Kilda (a not for profit organisation) in relation to its objections to the proposed St Kilda Triangle Development Plan and the planning approval including VCAT proceedings involving issues of invalid approval, denial of natural justice, unreasonableness and acting ultra vires
- Advising the Melbourne Market Authority in relation to property disputes
- Melbourne Market Authority prosecutions
- Guardianship and administration matters including acting for residential care facilities to protect the residents’ best interests and obtaining outstanding fees and bonds withheld by family members
- Complex estate disputes, such as a dispute involving a 20-year-old will requiring a will rectification proceeding; a proceeding to remove executors; an appeal of the will rectification; proceeding, constructive and resulting trust proceedings; Part IV (Testator’s Family Maintenance) proceedings; and a negligence proceeding.