James has over 15 years’ experience in all areas of intellectual property and commercial litigation.
James provides intellectual property services for national and multinational businesses, private clients and the public sector across a diverse range of industries, professions and fields which include building products, construction, architecture, food products, education, fairs and festivals, customs, language services, computer software, clothing, furniture, transport, cosmetic products and vehicles.
James’s specific IP experience includes:
- Trade marks (protecting business names, logos and slogans)
- Patents (protecting the way inventions work)
- Designs (protecting the appearance of products and packaging)
- Copyright (protecting literature, computer software, artistic works, engineering and architectural drawings, music, films, dramatic works, buildings and works of artistic craftsmanship)
- Domain names (protecting web addresses)
- Confidential Information (protecting commercially sensitive information).
James also has significant experience acting for clients in a broad range of commercial litigation disputes, which includes resolving disputes before court proceedings are commenced and conducting court proceedings. James practises primarily in the Victorian, New South Wales and federal courts and tribunals, with a focus on expeditious and cost efficient litigation.
Commercial litigation disputes in which James has assisted clients include:
- contractual disputes
- complex commercial matters
- insolvency (bankruptcy and winding up) disputes including unfair preferences claims
- property disputes including sale contracts, leases, mortgages and stamp duty
- sale of business disputes
- debt recovery
- Corporations Act disputes
- building and construction disputes.