Jessica is an Accredited Specialist in Planning and Environment Law. With over five years’ specialist environment and planning experience, Jessica provides both advice and litigation support to NSW Government agencies and private clients on a variety of issues including:
- Planning pathways for developments of all sizes pursuant to the Environment and Planning Act 1979 including:
- Exempt and complying development under State Environmental Planning Policies including the Education SEPP, the Infrastructure SEPP, and the Codes SEPP.
- Support in relation to Part 4 approvals, including Class 1 development appeals to the Land and Environment Court.
- Post determination pathways in relation to construction certificates and occupations certificates.
- Unique pathways and processes for Crown Developments.
- Legal reviews of Review of Environmental Factors and other Part 5 self-determining questions.
- Compulsory acquisitions for both NSW Government and private clients for numerous infrastructure projects pursuant to the Land Acquisition (Just Terms Compensation) Act 1991 at all stages of the acquisition process including pre-and post-acquisition.
- Waste and contamination advice pursuant to Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 and the Contaminated Land Management Act 1997 including:
- Providing support in responding to EPA notices and requests for information.
- Advice regarding compliance with the NSW Waste Regulations.
- Recovering costs pursuant to the polluter pays principle.
- Neighbour disputes including trees, fences, easements and the drafting of submissions against proposed developments.
- Other specific environment and planning issues including existing use rights, vegetation and biodiversity offsetting, fire safety statements and orders, heritage conservation, etc
In 2017 Jessica was seconded to provide legal advice on natural resources and water law within the NSW government.
A passionate advocate for sustainability and environmental issues, Jessica shares her knowledge and experience as a tutor in the postgraduate Sustainable Development and the Urban Environment course through UNSW.