Providing easy to understand comprehensive advice while taking into account key issues has been the driving force of Jim’s success as a specialist commercial and litigation lawyer for more than 40 years.
His managerial responsibilities reflect the invaluable skills he brings to our practice. Jim is currently the Head of the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Group in our Sydney office. He is a previous National Chairman and National Managing Partner of the firm and was also Chief Legal Representative of the Hunt & Hunt Shanghai office.
With clients spanning Australia and the globe, Jim’s commercial law expertise is widespread, covering legal, strategic, commercial, governance and reputation issues.
Jim’s in-depth knowledge of international legal issues is second to none. As a Director and former Chairman of Interlaw and through his wide network of contacts in more than 115 major global cities, Jim has provided commercial advice to clients for over 20 years ranging from negotiating joint ventures and resolving disputes, to mediation, litigation and arbitration.
China is undoubtedly his stronghold. In 2006, Jim was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia for service to international relations, particularly the development of legal and business links with China and in 2012 UNSW recognised his work in China with the award of Doctor of Laws Honoris Causa. Jim is currently the New South Wales Special Envoy for China and he is the immediate past President of the Australia China Business Council NSW branch.
He is one of seven Australians appointed to the China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC) panel of arbitrators, and is the only Australian appointed to the Shanghai Arbitration Commission. Jim regularly presents seminars on China and assists Austrade programs in Beijing and China.
Jim appears as Counsel on matters in the Supreme Court, Federal Court and, at times, the High Court. A selection of the matters on which Jim represents his clients include:
- Construction – the Moomba–Sydney Gas Pipeline and the Sydney Superdome
- Defence – acting for Australian Submarine Corporation on many issues including contractual matters and intellectual property and for Thales on a tender dispute concerning The Australian Advanced Air Traffic System (TAAATS)
- Trade Practices – advising on exclusive dealing and misleading conduct and constitutional issues, for example Jewel Foodstores on interstate trade in milk
- Corporations Law – including ASIC investigations
- Royal Commissions – appearing as Counsel for clients called before the Royal Commission into Institutional Abuse of Children in several case studies over many weeks.
- Insolvencies – acting for the US receiver appointed by the US Securities & Exchange Commission regarding a US$300 million Ponzi scheme and most recently for the liquidator in recovery actions against the Obeid family
- Appearing as counsel on international trade disputes in Chinese Arbitrations for Elders Limited relating to the export of cattle to China
- Enforcement of foreign arbitration awards.
Jim’s corporate experience includes over 12 years working with government as Chair of the Commonwealth company responsible for the accreditation of aged care faculties in Australia where he reported directly the Minister of the day and worked closely with Commonwealth government departments.