Stephen is a commercial lawyer with extensive experience in advising businesses. His strengths include advising on acquisitions and divestments, commercial agreements, structuring, and associated legal risk issues and revenue issues. He also advises on property law issues, with a focus on commercial and industrial property.
- acquisition and divestment of commercial enterprises in a wide variety of industries, including negotiation, documentation and all aspects of transactions, including transactions with national and international parties
- advising on business structure, issues faced by businesses, and solutions for those issues
- commercial agreements of various types including agreements for exploitation of intellectual property
- investigating and reporting to commercial, aged care, voluntary, and educational enterprises on structural issues and legal risk exposure.
- negotiating, on several occasions, for the acquisition and divestment of high-value commercial, industrial and retail property
- advising and negotiating for landlord and tenant in relation to all aspects of commercial, industrial and retail leasing; analysis of commercial and retail leasing in the context of due diligence for acquisitions and divestments.
- analysis of complex GST issues (in conjunction with specialist consultants) in the context of major property and commercial transactions
- duty advice, submissions, applications for exemption and objections.
Banking and Finance
- documenting senior debt and non-recourse debt (for borrowers)
- advising special purpose lending institution about lending issues and security documentation for commercial and community projects
- negotiating for defaulting commercial borrowers with the lender, and for the lender with the borrower, and drawing complex terms of settlement to resolve existing facilities and to resolve disputes and claims
Charity and Not-for-profit
- advising a major religious denomination about internal structuring issues, disciplinary procedures, and relationships between their internal elements structuring of not-for-profit entities according to their particular needs including advising about tax concession and DGR status, and capital and recurring grants