Russell is a customs and global trade specialist with a strong focus on helping clients proactively manage customs risks and opportunities.
Over the past 10 years Russell has advised on various indirect taxes including customs duty, GST, excise and fuel tax credits. These roles have given Russell the opportunity to work with internal Government stakeholders, multinationals, individual customs brokers and forwarders and small-medium businesses.
This breadth of experiences means that Russell not only identifies the correct legal answer, but can take into account the various other commercial and operational factors affecting clients. More broadly Russell assists those involved in global trade with related commercial issues such as drafting agreements, parallel imports, product labelling, disputes between different parties in the international supply chain and regulatory compliance.
Russell's experience includes:
- Customs duty issues including customs valuation (both from a compliance and duty management perspective)- advising on the customs implications of transfer pricing adjustments, application of free trade agreements, duty management for major projects, applications for tariff concession orders, tariff classification and supply chain restructures
- Identifying customs duty refund opportunities for importers based on the initial incorrect valuation of goods, underutilisation of concessions or trade programs or incorrect classification of goods
- Assisting importers and exporters with customs compliance issues including customs audits (both by Customs authorities and internal audits), the import and export of controlled goods, drafting customs import and export procedures, disclosure and management of identified compliance issues
- Advising foreign exporters and Australian importers in relation to anti-dumping investigations. Having previously handled such matters as a lawyer in a chartered accounting firm, Russell is uniquely placed to consider the wide variety of commercial issues involved in anti-dumping investigations.
- Acting for Australian exporters utilising concessions in other countries, resolving valuation disputes, facilitating the clearance of goods held for inspection and providing advice on the management of risks faced by exporters to high risk countries.
Russell has provided advice to organisations involved in a variety of industries including logistics and transport, automotive, consumer goods, heavy industry and mining, life sciences and telecommunications.